Date and Time: Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 3pm EST.
Description: A workshop for board members and the staff who work with them. The training covered the basic responsibilities of a governing board, board/staff relations, conflict of interest, maximizing board effectiveness and tools for evaluating and improving board effectiveness.
Presentation: Download the power point presentation
APPL Training Corps Leaders
Donna Asbury has 30 years experience in not-for-profit management, non-formal education and fundraising. Prior to joining the Association of Partners for Public Lands (APPL) in October 2000 as Executive Director, Donna served as director of Project WILD, a conservation education program that trains more than 55,000 educators per year nationwide. Other experience includes, serving as director of corporate and foundation relations for the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, director of development for National 4-H Council and executive director of the Chicago 4-H Foundation.
Charley Money has 20 years of experience with nonprofit public lands partnerships, serving as executive director of Alaska Geographic since 1998, and previously working with the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy and Western National Parks Association. He was a member of APPL’s board of directors for eight years, including serving as the association’s president from 2004 to 2008.
- APPL Self Assessment Tool for Nonprofit Public Lands Partners (pdf)
- Free Complete Toolkit for Boards, Free Management Library. A comprehensive “how to” guide organized into two categories. Includes information about board roles and responsibilities, operations, articles, bylaws, resolutions and policies, legal, lobbying, ethics and risk, staffing the board, board training, board and staff relations, planning, human resources management, finances and taxes, and more.
- Organizational Effectiveness Series Manuals: Board Development Manual, National Minority AIDS Council.
This manual provides nonprofit community-based organization board and staff members with new insight and specific tools and resources for building an effective board.
- BoardSource. BoardSource provides knowledge and resources for nonprofit leaders through workshops, training, assessment tools, an extensive web site and a membership program.
- The Nonprofit Board Answer Book: A Practical Guide for Board Members and Chief Executives. By BoardSource, 2007
- Nonprofit Boards: Roles, Responsibilities, and Performance. (Nonprofit Law, Finance, and Management Series), by Diane J. Duca, 1996
- Governance as Leadership: Reframing the Work of Nonprofit Boards. By Richard P. Chait, William P. Ryan, and Barbara E. Taylor, 2004
- Good Governance for Nonprofits: Developing Principles and Policies for an Effective Board. By Frederic L. Laughlin and Robert C. Andringa, 2007
Relevant Organizations and Agencies
- Association of Partners for Public Lands
- American Institute of Philanthropy
- Charity Navigator
- GuideStar. Publicizes information about nonprofit organizations, including information that the nonprofits supply, combined with data from their IRS 990 informational returns.
- National Association of State Charity Officials. Website has links to the office that regulates charities and charitable solicitation in a particular state.
- IRS.gov. Includes a host of resources for nonprofits, including information on the new IRS form 990, 990EZ, and electronic postcard.
- United Way
- Executive Service Corps Affiliate Network.
- National Council of Nonprofits. Find your state association.